Re: [Boost-docs] Character encoding on beta site

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Character encoding on beta site
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-11-28 21:09:32

Daniel James wrote:
> Dave seems to have tidy set up to generate utf-8 markup, while Rene's
> and mine are generating ascii. Do we have a policy on this? The beta
> site's HTTP header specifies UTF-8, so browsers are treating
> everything as UTF-8 anyway. This is causing problems in some of the
> documentation:
>
> http://beta.boost.org/doc/libs/1_34_0/doc/html/any.html
>
> Maybe we should add '-utf8' or '-ascii' to the arguments for tidy to
> keep things consistent.

I prefer ascii because it doesn't require that people have an editor
that support utf. But specifying -ascii is not going to help the
/doc/libs pages. I've been trying for a long time to figure out how to
make the web server not send out the HTTP utf-8 content header. Since it
prevents using anything but utf8 for content.

> Also, Trac seems to be treating the bugs file as some variant of ascii
> which is causing it to display it incorrectly.

Yea, problems like that.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything