Re: [Boost-docs] [1.37] Showstopper? Documentation pdf build broken.

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [1.37] Showstopper? Documentation pdf build broken.
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-27 19:17:29

2008/10/27 John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]>:

> OK, I've got to the bottom of this, if you have a link target, say:
>
> [#my_target]
>
> in quickbook at top level scope (ie not inside a section) then you end up
> with an <fo:inline> tag generated for the target that is outside of any
> <fo:block>, and hense the invalid XML FO. I'm not sure if this is my bug, a
> quickbook issue, a docbook one, or an XSL one! :-(
>
> Whatever, for now it was easier to just change the quickbook markup so it
> generated valid XML.

Sorry, I never got round to looking at this. I'm not sure but it's
probably a quickbook bug. Quickbook has always generated invalid
boostbook/docbook, but it's never been a problem before.

I think the problem is that quickbook is generating boostbook along
the lines of:

    <section>...
        <section>...</section>
        <anchor id="..." />
        <para>
        </para>
        <section>...</section>
    </section>

But anchors and paragraphs have to come before the sub-sections -
they're not allowed between them. Which means that it's hard to
generate valid boostbook for:

    [section ...] ... [endsect]

    A paragraph.

    [section ...] ... [endsect]

But I think a solution is possible for your case:

    [section ...] ... [endsect]

    [#target]

    [section ...] ... [endsect]

The anchor could be moved into the following section's title element
which would be pretty close to the original intent. I'll create a
ticket (and maybe try to implement this myself later).

But in general, I don't think it's possible to generate valid
boostbook without making quickbook a lot less flexible.

Daniel