Re: [Boost-docs] Making Boost Doc builds more robust

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Making Boost Doc builds more robust
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-02 10:56:46

2008/12/2 John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]>:

> Well... there appears to be something wrong with the Jamfile, because I get:
>
> '"..\..\..\bin.v2\tools\quickbook\test\msvc-8.0\debug\link-static\threading-multi\line-compare-tool.exe"'
> is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or
> batch file.

I get the same. The executable gets built, but it gets deleted at the
end of each test. Boost build seems to think it's a temporary file.

> One other thing I've noticed is that quickbook doesn't always exit with an
> error code if the markup is invalid - things I particularly noticed were
> xinclude/include/import not failing if the specified file name is invalid.

This was the problem was had in the last release. Some of the
documentation wasn't included but nobody noticed until the last minute
because the build succeeded.

There's already a ticket: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/1399

Which is another problem - everyone is busy with other things.

FWIW, on linux the documentation build has been very stable for me
(apart from the recent quickbook bug). The issue with building the
accumulators documentation on windows has been fixed, as have the
newline issues, so it should be possible to build the full
documentation without cygwin.

The only remaining issue that I'm aware of is that quickbook doesn't
work with some cygwin paths. I think it's only for paths that begin
with '/cygdrive' (so it might not happen if you checkout boost inside
your cygwin home directory) and that it's not a new bug but it became
a problem in the last release because boost build started using
absolute paths.

Sorry that I'm a bit vague, I've had hard drive problems and had to
reinstall windows and haven't installed cygwin yet.

Daniel