Re: [Boost-docs] HTML to PDF translations?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] HTML to PDF translations?
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-13 15:14:17

on Thu Feb 12 2009, "John Maddock" <john-AT-johnmaddock.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Don't forget a WYSIWYG editor:-)
>
> I think a WYSIWYG editor is rather missing the point - DocBook is not based around how
> things *look*, but around how they are *structured*. It's an important conceptual
> difference IMO.

I happen to agree that it's missing the point, but you can't argue with
user preferences like that one. The more you and I say that WYSIWYG
isn't appropriate here, the more people who are attached to it will dig
in their heels. At least, that's my experience.

>> I'd be happy with an emacs editing mode. Getting colorization and other
>> dynamic feedback about the status of your markup is extremely valuable,
>> even if it isn't strictly WYSIWYG. For example, when I'm editing
>> ReStructuredText in emacs, it still shows me the markup I'm entering,
>> but the text responds as I enter it. Italicized sections italicize,
>> headings highlight, etc. That's enough to make editing a lot faster.
>
> Nod, have you seen
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_38_0/doc/html/quickbook/editors.html, I haven't
> personally tried any of these, but they look to do most of what you
> want.

No, I haven't. I'm an emacs junkie. I once built a qbk-mode based on
rst-mode, but it was not very good.

> Personally I find emacs utterly incomprehensible so I'm not going to
> offer to write you a syntax highlighter, but if any emacs experts
> would like to chip here, I'd be more than happy to assist with the
> quickbook side of things...

Well, I'm trying (without total success) to be an emacs expert. Modes
are one of the hardest areas for me to understand, so, maybe someday.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing