Re: [Boost-docs] Too many copies of graphics like boost.png?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Too many copies of graphics like boost.png?
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-08 23:02:10

2009/12/8 Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>:
> I note that there are many copies of graphics files like boost.png - over 70
> last time I looked - and rising!  And there are several others similar images
> like top, prev, next, draft ... that are used in almost every bit of
> documentation.

70? Are you talking about the sandbox? If you download a zipfile you
shouldn't need to place it anywhere special to view the documentation
so they really should contain all the relevant images.

They don't necessarily need to check the graphic files into
subversion, especially if they're just checking in quickbook sources.
The images can be copied in as part of the documentation build. For
example:

http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox-tags/old-move/libs/move/doc/Jamfile.v2

Although I didn't actually bother with the boost.png file, I think
that was just a broken image. It should be possible to copy that from
boost root and set the location using the 'boost.image.src' xsl
parameter.

I have been meaning to reduce the number of copies of css files in the
main repository. Occasionally someone will update a css file in
'doc/html' but not 'doc/src', but the documentation build overwrites
the files in 'doc/html' so the change doesn't make it to the release.
In this case, I think everyone should just use the original location,
there's no need to copy files around when they're always available.
But this is just one of the many things I never get round to.

Daniel