[Boost-docs] Contributing FAQ

Subject: [Boost-docs] Contributing FAQ
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-15 15:26:09

Hi All,

I wanted to find a place to add this to the website, but couldn't find
a fitting one and didn't want to get in over my head. It seems like a
FAQ. Someone asked me "how can I contribute to development?" and I
wrote:

  First, I hope you are subscribed to the Boost developers' list. There
  are basically three paths to contribution that I can think of:

  1. Submit patches for new features or bug fixes. Pick any ticket at
     http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost and get started. If existing
     library maintainers don't already know your work, this is a good
     way to become known as someone they can trust to do good work.

  2. Become part of a particular library's community, and become known
     to the library maintainer(s) by participating in design discussions
     (some libraries, e.g. Spirit, have their own mailing lists where
     you'd do that).

  3. Come up with a library idea of your own and begin the process
     described at http://www.boost.org/development/submissions.html

Maybe a more general "how can I contribute?" question that includes
testing as an option would be good. Is there anyone that feels
comfortable picking up this ball and running with it?

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing