Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook spirit 2 port

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook spirit 2 port
From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-09 19:05:15

> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>>
>> Way cool, Daniel! One thing I really want to be done is to minimize
>> the actual c++ grammars by converting as much markups as possible into
>> qbk templates and finally have the qbk standard template. Have you
>> considered that approach?

No, I'm trying to stay as close to the existing version as possible.
Since different blocks treat their arguments in different ways there
isn't much that can be reduced without changing things. But it should
be possible to create a future version with a more consistent (and
preferably context free) grammar that's very close to what we've got
now. Maybe with richer 'data types' for template arguments, so that
they can take lists and maps using similar syntax to existing tables
and images. There a few other things in the grammar that could be
improved at the same time, such as simple markup (ie. *bold*),
paragraphs in lists and block markup in tables. So I think a new
grammar would be worth the effort. I think Spirit 2 makes this a lot
easier.

On 9 February 2010 01:40, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I was going to ask exactly the same question.. Since I never got to finish
> that same abstraction with the Spirit 1 quickbook. Daniel, did you look at
> the previous backend abstraction work I did
> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/branches/quickbook/backend>? I
> would love it if what I tried doing was much easier to do now. As it wasn't
> exactly the nicest solution.

I haven't looked at it but I think it should be easier to do now. I'm
just using a visitor class for generating the markup, it should be
pretty easy to call templates instead.

Daniel