Re: [Boost-docs] boostbook outside of boost

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] boostbook outside of boost
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-24 08:57:56

> I would like to use boostbook for documenting a non-boost C++ library.
> I currently use an autotools build system with doxygen to generate API
> documentation and I have a manual I have written for it in docbook. I
> would like to merge the docubook and doxygen stuff into a single tool
> so i can have references between the doxygen API documentation and the
> manual documentation with a consistent style.
>
> I figure this sort of thing is possible from reading the documentation
> on boostbook:
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/doc/html/boostbook.html
>
> However I have found no documentation on using boostbook outside of
> the boost jam based build system, or calling it manually or on how the
> boostbook/doxygen intergration works.
>
> Are there any example projects that are using boostbook outside of a
> jam based build system which I could take a look at or any relevant
> documentation I can read?

Not much, but take a look at the diagram here:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostDocs/GettingStarted to see how it
all fits together.

Then if you run bjam on a sample Boost library (maybe doc/test/ would be a
good one) with the -d2 option you'll see the actual commands used - it's
probably quicker to pick things up from there than to read the docs for all
the different tools involved ;-)

HTH, John.