Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Reusing footnote

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Reusing footnote
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-29 00:51:05

On 29 December 2010 00:10, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I would like to point to a particular footnote from two different places in
> a section of the documentation. Is there any way to do that ? If I specify
> the footnote in the first location, and then specify the same footnote text
> in the second location, a duplicate footnote is created. I only want one,
> and for each location to have the same footnote marker.

Not in native quickbook. In docbook you can assign an id to the
footnote and then use a <footnoteref> tag elsewhere. I've attached an
example of how you might do that with templates - although using it
you won't be able to use any block markup so you'll be limited to
single paragraph footnotes. I suppose you could create extra templates
for paragraphs. But that isn't ideal.

A partial solution would be to get quickbook to convert anchors
defined before a footnote into an id. If I did that then you could
write:

Some text[#footnote.id][footnote
     A multi-paragraph footnote.

     Second paragraph.
] and then refer to the footnote again[footref footnote.id].

For a full native implementation, I'm not sure how to handle ids. The
normal quickbook id mechanism would be pretty confusing.

Daniel