Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Reusing footnote

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Reusing footnote
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-29 07:10:46

On 12/28/2010 7:51 PM, Daniel James wrote:
> On 29 December 2010 00:10, Edward Diener<eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I would like to point to a particular footnote from two different places in
>> a section of the documentation. Is there any way to do that ? If I specify
>> the footnote in the first location, and then specify the same footnote text
>> in the second location, a duplicate footnote is created. I only want one,
>> and for each location to have the same footnote marker.
>
> Not in native quickbook. In docbook you can assign an id to the
> footnote and then use a<footnoteref> tag elsewhere. I've attached an
> example of how you might do that with templates - although using it
> you won't be able to use any block markup so you'll be limited to
> single paragraph footnotes. I suppose you could create extra templates
> for paragraphs. But that isn't ideal.

Thanks for the attachment.

> A partial solution would be to get quickbook to convert anchors
> defined before a footnote into an id. If I did that then you could
> write:
>
> Some text[#footnote.id][footnote
> A multi-paragraph footnote.
>
> Second paragraph.
> ] and then refer to the footnote again[footref footnote.id].
>
> For a full native implementation, I'm not sure how to handle ids. The
> normal quickbook id mechanism would be pretty confusing.

Why not have footnote ids in Quickbook be syntactically like table ids ?
So one could have '[footnote:myid The actual footnote]' and then later,
to duplicate the same footnote '[footref
quickbook.phrase.footnotes.myid]'. That would be cleaner than the anchor
mechanism. Of course if phrase elements do not have ids like block
elements it will not work, which is probably what you are telling me
with your anchor proposed hack.