[Boost-docs] A better way to do release notes?

Subject: [Boost-docs] A better way to do release notes?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-14 17:38:16

I've got several concerns about the current release notes mechanism:

* The file where I supply my library's release notes markup is not
part of my library, so it is a pain to keep up to date, and not within
my library's version control history.

* While the global Boost release notes page is nice for finding out
what happened to each library in a given update, it isn't any good for
seeing what has happened to my library release by release. I'd really
like that to be in my libs/libname/doc subdirectory.

Perhaps libraries could have a local release notes markup file in
their libs/libname/doc subdirectory:

* That markup file could have a separate section for each release.
* The global release notes generation process could automatically pull
out the section for the current release.
* There could be a separate Jamfile in my library's libs/libname/doc
subdirectory that generates my library's
libs/libname/doc/release_notes.html file, covering all past releases.
* This be done only for libraries that want to go that route, so
nothing changes for libraries that don't want to use this mechanism.

Is that possible? Practical? Thoughts?

--Beman