Re: [Boost-docs] A better way to do release notes?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] A better way to do release notes?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-14 23:53:00

On 14 February 2011 17:38, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I've got several concerns about the current release notes mechanism:
>
> * The file where I supply my library's release notes markup is not
> part of my library, so it is a pain to keep up to date, and not within
> my library's version control history.

A few people include a full change log in their library's
documentation, and then put either a summary or a link in the main
release notes. I also try to keep a list of changes in my release
branch merge so that I can check there to see what's changed.

> Perhaps libraries could have a local release notes markup file in
> their libs/libname/doc subdirectory:
>
> * That markup file could have a separate section for each release.
> * The global release notes generation process could automatically pull
> out the section for the current release.
> * There could be a separate Jamfile in my library's libs/libname/doc
> subdirectory that generates my library's
> libs/libname/doc/release_notes.html file, covering all past releases.
> * This be done only for libraries that want to go that route, so
> nothing changes for libraries that don't want to use this mechanism.

You could just be a html file with the version info in the headers. As
long as you follow a fairly standard style it shouldn't be too hard to
extract the version info. Something like:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>Filesystem Change Log</title>
<!-- css/meta tags/whatever else -->