Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Processing names with more than one underscore ( _ )

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Processing names with more than one underscore ( _ )
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-14 23:34:41

On 13 February 2011 19:48, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 2/13/2011 1:24 PM, Daniel James wrote:
>>

>> Quickbook is a markup language, so to use it effectively you have to
>> mark up text. If that's a problem, then maybe it isn't the right
>> solution for you.

[snip]

> So I ask if the simple formatting for the underline can be turned off when
> processing a quickbook document so I do not have to use the backslash all
> over the place when documenting my library in quickbook, and your answer is
> the above.

Well, quickbook is a tool for generating a dialect of docbook. The
whole idea of docbook is to generate documentation based on
semantically marked up text. In this example, everything which is code
should be marked up as code. If it is then there's no issue here since
underlines don't have to be escaped in code. To use quickbook
effectively, you really have to be willing to do things like that.

But you find this an unacceptable burden, which suggests to me that
quickbook just isn't for you. You'll always be fighting it because
you're opposed to the whole philosophy. It's like someone who believes
that programming languages should be dynamically typed using an
explicitly typed language - a constant source of frustration.

Daniel