Re: [Boost-docs] addendum to my previous issue

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] addendum to my previous issue
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-08-06 12:24:52

On 5 August 2011 20:01, Jason Scherer <jason.scherer_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Another issue with Getting Started: It would also be helpful if somehow in
> section 5.2.1 where it says "install Boost.Build" it would also explain that
> in fact, you've already used Boost.Build in a previous step — because the
> natural thing to ask is, how can b2 be part of Boost.Build if I used it in
> step 5.1, before Boost.Build was installed?

You've built it, but you haven't installed it. You can generally use
command line tools without installing them, but they won't be on your
path, or the supporting files might not be in place. The typical
installation method is for it to install itself. although you might
use some other tool to install it, for example a package manager, or
even do it manually.

> In fact I still don't quite
> understand what is meant by this, even after reading it several times.  Is
> the bootstrap.sh file in the root directory also a Boost.Build "installer"?

I think the file in the root directory is for building the whole of boost.