Re: [Boost-docs] Reference to overloaded function from quickbook to doxygen

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Reference to overloaded function from quickbook to doxygen
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-16 07:21:34

<...>

> Each of the 3 overloads in doxygen have their own documentation. When I
> look at the xml generated from doxygen, the 3 functions are there, but they
> all (obviously) have the same name and I cannot see a way of distinguishing
> them.
>
> Is there any known workaround for this issue (either in the quickbook
> and/or in the doxygen documentation)?

I've been hit by this issue a few months ago. Solution would be to describe
all the overloads on a single page. Use Doxugen `\overload` keyword for
that:
https://github.com/apolukhin/Boost.DLL/blob/master/include/boost/dll/import_function.hpp#L99

Solution looks not very nice at first, but then I get used to it and even
liked it: functions with same names must do the same thing, so they must be
described once instead of multiple copypasted Doxygen descriptions all
around the source code.

Describing all the overloads at once is a popular approach. See for example
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/insert/

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin