Re: [Boost-docs] Query regarding boostbook and documentation

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Query regarding boostbook and documentation
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-10 15:28:03

In an ideal world with an ideal language, the source code itself would be sufficient (given
sufficiently long variable names) to be self-documenting.

But C++ is a language where, in order to achieve wonderful things, it is necessary to use lots of
cunning tricks.

(This is especially true for Boost libraries - many consist almost entirely of cunning tricks! )

So we need more information somewhere and somehow.

We have to choose between:

1 putting documentation info in the same file, cluttering the code with comments, or

2 in a separate file meaning a more complex structure, and more files, and a mechanism of linking
code items like class names and their documentation info.

On balance, keeping it simple with both code and documentation info in the same C++ file seems more
popular.

(Using syntax-coloring can quickly allow the brain to separate C++ code from comments - unless you
are color-blind).

And we need a *syntax* so that documentation info can be machine processed. Given lots of 'prior
art' and existing tools, I conclude that the Doxygen Syntax is the only sensible de facto
'standard'.

To deal better with templates and meta-template programming we probably need extensions to the
existing syntax.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow