Re: [Boost-docs] How to build boost.spirit documentation

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] How to build boost.spirit documentation
From: Frank Hein (frank.hein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-07-11 02:58:09

Solved. But for completeness see comments below in red,

From: Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]>
To: Discussion of Boost Documentation <boost-docs_at_[hidden]>,
Date: 09.07.2016 10:10
Sent by: "Boost-docs" <boost-docs-bounces_at_[hidden]>

On 9 July 2016 at 01:40, Frank Hein <frank.hein_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> When I bjam --enable-index in the spirit doc folder, everything works so
far
> that a spirit2.boostbook
>
> file will be produced residing in bin.v2/( ... lots of toolset and
platform
> stuff ... )/spirit2.boostbook.
>
> The last step, producing html files from the boostbook does not get
done. I
> believe, I am missing
>
> something here.

It's a bit hard to say without seeing errors etc. What platform are
you using, have you installed docbook, and how?

There were no errors. Toolset ist Win32/Win64, msvc 14.

I thought I installed docbook. See below.

If you've installed docbok and there's no error then my guess would be
that you should edit the Spirit jamfile, change the lines that
currently say:

import boostbook ;
import quickbook ;

to:

using boostbook ;
using quickbook ;

Did that. No effect.

Your crucial hint was that the build can actually succeed without error
when docbook is
not installed correctly. I relied on seeing some error or warning in that
case and assumed
my installation was correct. It wasn't.

First I found that my user-config.jam was not used because it was not in
the search path.

Having it moved to a proper location, the build complained about
docbook-xsl not to be
found. The solution for that was to download the correct file. What they
offer with "get
latest build" is different from what you get when you download the tar.gz
from the 1.79
directory (which is what you need).

After fixing that everything is fine. Spirit V2 documentation gets built
(including html)
with b2 --enable-index spirit2.

Thank you very much. :)

Which is probably what it should be.

> Please help. I would appreciate to create the documentation
> "the boost way to do it".
>
> This question is all about boost.spirit documentation, which seems not
to be
> included in the general
>
> doc build of boost libraries. It's not a general "how to use docbook"
> question.

There's a glob in the main documentation jamfile which picks up
anything in a 'libs/*/doc' directory, which is how it gets built.