Re: [Boost-docs] [poly_collection] Doc not being automatically built

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [poly_collection] Doc not being automatically built
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-08 02:28:17

On 7 June 2017 at 08:00, Joaquin M López Muñoz via Boost-docs
<boost-docs_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On a more serious note, Boost tools such as b2, Quickbook etc. and the
> integration
> mechanisms around documentation, regression testing, submoduling... feel
> like an
> arcane science without sensible references: I (and I guess many other
> authors) resort
> to copy and pasting from what predecessors did in the past without really
> understanding what's going on. I wonder how much of an entry barrier this is
> for
> potential new Boost authors.

We all work it out as we go along, this could be documented by anyone.

FWIW I started writing some documentation on building documentation here:

http://boostorg.github.io/quickbook/doc/html/boost_doc_tools/boost_build.html

Although I don't understand the build system that well, I never
managed to finish it, and it's out of date now as it doesn't include
any details on how to integrate with the new setup (the boostrelease
and boostdoc targets). It also wouldn't have answered any of your
questions, even if I had finished it. Writing this stuff always feels
futile, so I find it hard to be motivated enough to do it. In the end,
it's considerably less work to just answer questions and help solve
people's problems than write and maintain documentation that most
never bother to read.