Subject: [GSOC 2019] [Draft] Proposal by Olzhas Zhumabek - Epipolar geometry
From: Olzhas Zhumabek (anonymous.from.applecity_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-02 21:13:51

Hi,

Since most of the migration of TMP part of the library done, more well
researched algorithms proposed by Miral Shirah, I thought I could propose
some new area that the library doesn't have support for yet. I've taken a
quick glance around the library and haven't found any tools for epipolar
geometry. From what I understand, this is a field which emphasizes on
correspondences between two shots of one scene from two polar positions
with very little difference in time and gathers information based on that.
It doesn't require any ML model training or anything like that, from what
I've seen.

I'm taking a video lecture course on the topic to estimate how much of a
far cry this is from existent functionality (how much stuff is missing) and
estimate how complex it will be to implement this.

The *list of things that I would to implement* are as following:

   - Algorithm for finding fundamental matrix
   - Algorithm for finding epipolar lines between two images
   - Algorithm for image rectification

I will add/remove/expand some items as I move on and gather more
information.

So I have the following questions:

Is anybody working on this? I quickly sifted through git branches and
haven't found anything related to this.

Is this outside the scope of the library? I believe as long as it doesn't
involve machine learning or some other training stuff, it should be ok.

Is there anybody who has some experience implementing this kind of
algorithms?

I will modify the proposal to include some more concrete implementation
details/architecture after delving deeper into the topic.

Best regards,
Olzhas Zhumabek

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners