From: stefan (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-06-06 21:14:24

On 2019-06-06 4:57 p.m., Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 22:20, stefan <stefan_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I'm confused. https://github.com/BoostGSoC19/gil-olzhas/ looks like an
>> ordinary fork of boostorg/gil to me. Is it not ?
> No, it is not a fork.
> It is a "duplicate" in GitHub terms.
>
> Only Miral's is a fork, but that is because she created it first.
> There can not be two forks of the same repo within the same GitHub organization:
> https://github.community/t5/Support-Protips/Alternatives-to-forking-into-the-same-account/ba-p/7428

Oh, darn, I was entirely oblivious to that. Hmm, that's a strong
argument against using repos all unified under a single "BoostGSoC19"
org. Or at least, allow Olzhas to work directly out of his real fork,
just to make life a little easier.

> So, to keep things simple, I suggested Miral and Olzhas to unify our workflows
> and consider both, Miral's and Olzhas' as "duplicates" (it also makes easier
> to provide them with hand in using git, etc.).
> This all we discussed on Gitter during the first days of GSoC.

Seems I missed all that. Sorry. (To be honest, I was never a big fan of
the requirement to have all the repos be part of a single org. The above
limitation just drives this home even more strongly.

> Now, keeping up the notion of "duplicate" for both, there is no shortcut really
> for submitting PR with completed features to develop in upstream.
>
> Or, do you see a better way?

What if Olzhas forgets (ignores) his BoostGSoC19 duplicate and works
directly out of his own fork ? I don't really mind...whatever is
simplest for him, so long as I can help and play my mentoring role...

Stefan

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners