From: stefan (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-06-07 18:37:18

On 2019-06-07 4:35 a.m., Olzhas Zhumabek wrote:
> I've got green light from one of the authors of FREAK. I guess one is
> enough?
>
> Still waiting for the confirmation from A-KAZE author, but the page
> https://github.com/pablofdezalc/akaze%c2%a0says it is open source (the
> features themselves, not the code), so I guess it will be positive too.

There are different considerations for the algorithm itself on the one
hand, and an implementation of it on the other. The former may be
covered by patents, the latter by copyright.

However, I see on the above link that there are multiple (at least
three) Free (as in Software) implementation of A-KAZE, so I expect there
to be no problem.

How did you expect to use the code ? Incorporate it directly (by
cloning) ? Or referring to it as a third-party library user would have
to install first ?

I think it would be great if users could switch between different
implementations. In fact, it might even be interesting to establish a
common API, then provide wrappers for the three above, and use
benchmarking to measure how their performance compares. Or perhaps
that's too ambitious and we need to restrict ourselves to one
implementation.

Stefan

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners