From: Olzhas Zhumabek (anonymous.from.applecity_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-06-02 16:19:07

This thread will probably pretty long and follow our findings and direction
on how will improve the
performance of 2D convolution in GIL.

During my meeting with Prathamesh, we discussed the nature of the 2D
convolution in OpenCV.
At the moment it uses some switches which allows it to change between SIMD
instructions,
high performance libraries and just a plain implementation with prefetch.
We decided to go the
simplest route for the first version, while continuously benchmarking past
implementations.

Here is the initial plan:

 - Prathamesh will send a flowchart for the basic implementation
 - I will sketch some benchmarking code with the cmake switches for OpenCV,
so that we could pit
our versions against OpenCV (ETA until Monday next week)
 - Prathamesh will complete the benchmarking code with comparisons (ETA
sometime next week)
 - After discussing the flowchart, the implementation of the new version
will begin (next week too, probably)

Please share your ideas and suggestions.

Best,
Olzhas

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners