Boost logo

Boost-MPI :

Subject: Re: [Boost-mpi] Boost 1.62.0 with MS-MPI v7
From: alainm (alain.miniussi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-09 08:44:31

There is a chance that I won't be involved in Boos::mpi anymore, so I
won't be able to help on that one. But I can still talk about it :-)
Now, as far as MS-MPI is concerned, I think that the main problem is
that most HPC platforms are not using MS in the first place. As a result
the platform is not very well (read, at all) tested.
I do not have access to a windows platform, and all the HPC facilities I
use are running Linux, so validating a patch would be tricky. I'm afraid
that most peoples involved in boost::mpi are in that situation.

And then there is the boost build system. Even on Linux, the support
for, say, Intel's MPI was not easy to provide. The Bjam build system is
tailored for MPI implementations based on Open-MPI and Mpich (it runs
"mpicc -show<xxx> to find out the compilation options, so if those
options are not available or do not work as expected, you're in
trouble), and I don't really understand how the jam thing works (but
then, who does?) in order to make it more flexible. I could try reading
the doc.. (just kidding).

I do not think it's going to improve soon, as the only solution that
boost could come up with to fix the bjam issues is to develop a new bjam...

As a side note, I'm starting a small project as a fork of boost::mpi and
moved the build system to CMake, and it's such a comfort !
For example, if you need to add a test, you can use the add_test
command, for which there is a documentation, in the cmake documentation
(provided with cmake).

Thruth be told, I am not a big fan of CMake, except when I have to work
with bjam.

Now, maybe someone with access to MS-MPI can try submitting a
documentation PR through github.

Cheers

Alain