Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-11 21:04:38

Rene Rivera writes:
> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
>> Rene Rivera writes:
>
>> Does what? Uploads logs to server? It's a one-liner.
>
> And for the next feature.. another one-liner, and another.
>
>>>So there's no point in continuing to "extend" regression.py if we
>>>can just switch to an already proven equivalent.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> To switch, you have to transfer all the logic of 'regression.py' to
>> BuiltBot server side.
>
> Some of it. Parts of it have better equivalents in BuildBot. And other
> parts are the same logic I, and others, use in our test scripts (not
> regression.py).
>
>> Then everybody needs to switch to the new test
>> running infrastructure.
>
> Yes. Incrementally.
>
>> The cost of implementing the whole thing is significantly higher,
>> although it's definitely more exciting to work on than fixing the
>> mundane problems of the existing tools.
>
> I _am_ fixing an existing tool, regression.py,
> collect_and_upload.py, run_tests.sh, run_tests.bat. And yes, I'm
> also fixing other tools, like BBv1, just not as visibly.

I didn't mean to say that you are not doing something that you ought
to (first of all, AFAIK nobody signed up for anything here), and I,
for one, very much appreciate your help with these and other tools'
issues.

> And it has nothing to do with excitement. This is something I have a
> personal need to do, i.e. I need for my business. I can't use
> regression.py for my needs. So I chose to do some extra work, above
> *my* requirements so that it could be used by Boost. In the mean
> time I have a 3 hour interruption, to track down a problem on your
> machine.
>
> Honestly Aleksey, you ask me to explain how BuildBot can be
> better. And when I do, you belittle my answers, and the work done by
> the creators of BuildBot. I'm not sure how to take it, but it's
> getting a bit frustrating :-\

Honestly, I'm not. I'm sorry that you've got this impression. I'm just
trying to make sure we don't get caught up in a silver bullet race and
replace decisions based on technical merits with hype. I'm sure we
agree that nobody would benefit from it.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com