Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-15 05:15:16

Carl Daniel writes:
> Now that I can finally post :)

Welcome!

> I'd like to get my regression-test-running automated. Currently, a
> number of tests fail with runtime dialogs or JIT debugger dialogs.
> Using --monitored on regression.py helps somewhat, but it's not
                                           ^^^^^^^^
> really a solution.

Meaning you've encountered a situation when it didn't help? Just
curious, because to our best knowledge, while not without serious
usability problems (which I pointed out offline earlier), it does its
job after all. We've been running unsupervised Win32 regressions with
it 24/7 for almost 2 years.

> So, what other complaints are there about build monitor now? What
> desired features are not supplied by the current implementation?

To my best knowledge, there are two problems with the current
implementation:

1) It's too greedy in killing processes; specifically, it doesn't
   conform to the "ideal" spec, which is:

   "Regression tests' monitoring tool should terminate any process
   that:

   - Is spawned by 'bjam.exe' executable (or is the executable
     itself).
   - It has been running for more than N minutes _or_ showed an
     error dialog window.
   "

2) It doesn't handle the case of missing DLL dependencies; on Win32
   this results in a error dialog "DLL such and such is not found",
   which stalls futher running of tests.

The use cases that led us to the above formulation of the desired
behavior were:

- So-called "access violations"
    - In bjam
    - During compilation, linking, and running of tests

- Error dialogs shown by C++ runtime support code

- Processes hanging/running too long:
    - Tests
    - Compilers/linkers

Issue #2, which we discovered later, obviously adds this one:

- Other error dialogs shown by operating system (e.g. missing DLL
  dependencies).

> I'd like to help make a better solution - and at least on Windows,
> I'm confident that a much better solution is possible.

That's great to hear! We were hoping for someone to come and say that
right :).

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering