Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Victor A. Wagner Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-14 02:28:54

At Thursday 2005-04-14 00:09, you wrote:
>Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
>>At Wednesday 2005-04-13 20:37, you wrote:
>
>>>We need some way of profiling the tests as long as we don't have a way
>>>of limiting the execution time for them. Apparently, a couple of the
>>>tests take quite long to run and I only can find them out by staring at
>>>the screen while the tests are running. While excessive time consumption
>>>at first only annoys the testers, it also may indicate a flaw in the
>>>code. The amount of time (and RAM) consumed actually is important information.
>>
>>Martin, it _should_ be rather easy to add a timestamp to the test logs
>>each time a test is run.
>>I wrote a very small application using boost::date-time which produces:
>>C:\Documents and Settings\vawjr>timestamp
>>20050414T051138
>>adding the actual code (basically format the current time) should be
>>trivial for any booster
>
>I was more concerned about how the postprocessing of the additional output
>would work than about how to create the timestamp itself. (The timestamps
>should be added by the build/test systems, I think)
>
>process_jam_log would have to be adapted for that change.

as long as we're "blue-skying" how about we indicate "age" of the results
on the summary pages (if we have timestamps, it should be easy).

I _formally_ (well, maybe hemi-semi-demi-formally) suggest using almost any
"fade to grey" algorithm to show aging of results. The bright colors would
be the current results, and the older ones would kinda look "old" (btw,
white is one of the greys, I wouldn't object to making older colors
progressively more pastel).