Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-22 10:22:09

Doug Gregor wrote:
> I was looking at the list of regression results submitters and noticed
> that we have a few cases where the same compiler/platform is being
> submitted twice. That's usually a good thing... it makes sure minor
> variations are tested, providing better coverage. However, when one of
> the submitters is running tests for lots of compilers it might be better
> to only have the more-lightly-loaded tester run tests for that compiler.
> For instance, both RudbekAssociates and MetaComm are running tests for
> vc-7_1 on Windows, but MetaComm's tests lag farther behind because
> they're running tests for 8 (!) compiler/stdlib combinations. Similarly,
> RSI-SoL and Martin Wille are both running GCC 3.4.3 on Linux, with the
> latter running more tests and therefore lagging further behind.
>
> I think coordination to distribute testing as much as possible would
> help push the release forward, because we can give developers better
> turnaround times on regression test results.

Agreed.

But the gains might not be apparent until we have more testers. For
example you mentioned the tests that Martin and I run as overlapping,
but they aren't. He is doing the regular debug variant testing, while
I'm doing release variant testing.

Not to discourage testers.. But it would be nice if prospective testers
contact us before starting so that we can coordinate which platforms
we'd like to have them test.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com