Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Victor A. Wagner Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-16 08:08:30

At 03:47 2005-06-16, David Abrahams wrote:
>"Victor A. Wagner Jr." <vawjr_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > At 14:54 2005-06-15, you wrote:
> >>"Victor A. Wagner Jr." <vawjr_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >>
> >>Speaking of which, how are we going to resolve that change you made
> >>recently to the msvc toolset that enables asynchronous EH everywhere?
> >
> > I'm open to suggestions.
> > upside:
> > errors_handling_test now "passes" for vc-8_0
> > downside:
> > incerease in size and running time (presumably)
>
>I'm not sure how many people are using BBv1 as a development tool, so
>there's a chance it might be okay. That said, I'm reluctant to make
>the change without knowing for sure.
>
> > since I've always felt it's the programmer's job to "make it right, THEN
> > make it small/fast/whatever" altering the exception handling model in the
> > compiler seemed the only choice.....
>
>That's the right choice; it just should have been done on a
>case-by-case basis.
>
> > afterall, IMO, divide by 0 _should_
> > be catchable in a C++ program (perhaps an extension to the core
> language is
> > in order?).
>
>That's not an argument I'm ready to have so early in the morning :)
>
> > so, what to do? I suppose finding a solution in the test-framework,
> > build-system, or the bjam files would be preferable, but bbv1 is
> > hopefully going away, I'll learn bb when v2 is "official".
> >
> > I haven't heard any screams coming from the testing community since I've
> > made the change to the toolset and since it fixed a problem that nobody
> > seemed to want to look at ...... <shrug>
> >
> > someone else's call..... I'm only a "tester"
>
>Was it only that one test that was failing? We could easily add an
><asynch-exceptions> feature and set it to "on" in that test's
>requirements.

there was (at the time) only one failure showing non-green in the vc-8_0
(maybe it was before the date-time problem was marked expected failure)
results.
I don't know how easy it would be to add it to a specific instance since
(from my brief reading of the /EH options page in MSDN) it appears that the
order in which the options appear affects what's used and /EHs and /EHa
would need some close looking at, since the testing framework needs at
least on of them.