Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-21 03:09:19

Thomas Witt <witt_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> Thomas Witt wrote:

>>> FWIW I do agree with Alisdair.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I always compile all my projects in
some form of "release configuration", with more optimization and less debug
info (except for Borland). Anything that doesn't work in that configuration is
therefore unusable for me. I would be disappointed if boost shipped a library
that claimed support for one of my compilers, but actually failed to work in a
release build; I would naturally assume it was my code that was at fault and
not the boost library.

So, whilst I agree that these failures may have only just come to light, and
that it is going to be extra work to fix them, I think it is important that
boost works (and therefore is tested) in the configuration(s) of the compilers
actually used by boost users.

For me, that means *both* debug and release builds for everything except
Borland, where the code generator has too many bugs to risk any optimization,
so I only use the debug build.

>> What I was doing in the past was tagging the toolset with a clear marker
>> that I was doing release builds. This prevented those runs from
>> getting considered as part of the release toolsets. Either adding
>> "~release" or "_release" to the toolset version works.
>
> This sounds great to me. Anthony can you do that?

I'd have thought so. Is it just a matter of changing user-config.jam lines?
e.g.

using msvc : 8.0express_release ;
using msvc : 7.1_release ;

I don't agree that these should be excluded from the release toolsets,
though. If anything, I think more people should be running "release" builds.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Software Developer