Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-04 22:45:59

Markus Schöpflin wrote:
> Clark Sims wrote:
>
>> I was wondering how much ram does the regression test need? I have a
>> large collection of old machines I don't use, I could run it on the old
>> machines also, if regression.py doesn't take too muich memory I see that
>> it is using 1.4 gig of memory on my machine right now. Is this typical?
>> or does it scale the memory request to the amount of memory on the
>> machine?
>
> The problem is not with regression.py but with bjam run from regression.py.
>
> I do observe >1GB memory usage for bjam (for two toolsets) on my test runs,
> plus you need enough memory for each test to compile, so 1.4 GB sounds like
> a number which is to be expected.

Yep that's about right. The amount of memory bjam uses is proportional
to the number of targets it needs to build/consider. In the case of
Boost testing there are many tests to build so it's a hog with memory.

> IIRC, there have been some efforts in reducing memory usage of bjam, but I
> have no idea what became of them.

Still trying to get Boehm GC working, i.e. still trying to debug why
it's having problems. And we are still waiting to get the code for the
fabled C++ version of bjam.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com