Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-25 13:45:25

On 3/25/07, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Sun Mar 25 2007, "Caleb Epstein" <caleb.epstein-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > See:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ynjs5o
> >
> > This test makes use of facilities in Python that require linking with
> > -lrt on Solaris. I think we have covered this ground in the past,
> > though I am having difficulty finding a precise reference. This
> > thread is a similar one where the Jamfiles were requesting a link with
> > non-existent-on-Solaris libutil (a BSD-ism I believe):
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.testing/1010/
>

> The code in python.jam *should* be causing -lrt to be added. Let me
> look at this again...
>
> > Would it not make more sense to ask Python itself what libraries it
> > needs, rather than having this encoded in the Jamfiles? It looks to
> > me like this might work:
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/env python
> > from distutils import sysconfig
> > print sysconfig.get_config_vars()['LIBS']
> >
> > This outputs:
> >
> > -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl -lrt -ldl
>
> Whoa, I've been looking for something like this, but didn't know where
> to find it.

I'm not sure how I found this one myself (distutils seemed like a
likely candidate, so I just started poking around) but the fact that
*I* just taught *you* something about Python really makes my Sunday
:-)

> Yes, it would make more sense, for the great majority of cases where a
> Python interpreter is available on the system. I don't know if
> there's time for that change right now, though.

Hm, I didn't think about the interpreter requirement. I think the
likelihood of a system having the Python libraries installed without
the Python interpreter at build-time would be pretty slim though.

FYI this is from CVS-HEAD not RC_1_34_0, so what would be the reason
for not making a change "right now"?

It looks like Martin Wille suggested this change almost exactly a year ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/139601/focus=139948

--
Caleb Epstein

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com