Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-26 17:37:11

David Abrahams wrote:
> 1. Is it possible that the version or the toolset name contains a dash
> (it always used to be possible to make a toolset name containing a
> dash, c.f. intel-win)

True.

> 2. If one substring is numeric, does that necessarily constitute the
> version number?

No. As I understand it: It depends, on the ability to deduce the feature
from an implicit value (the version identifier in this case).

> 3. When invoking the toolset's "init" rule to configure it, what
> should I do with any additional dash-separated substrings?

You would need to deduce the features from the values and then
put it into the using rule. (Which clearly is infeasible.)

So the only workable solution I can see at the moment:

1) scan off the toolset property from the string, by making use
    of the feature module.

2) Knowing the toolset try to infer the version from the string
    by making use of feature expansion again.

3) If we were not able to consume the whole string _and_ need to
    autoconfigure, print a warning and let the toolset take care
    of autoconfiguration. If this does not work we will get an
    error in a later stage. If it works we are fine.

4) In the other case we did not need to autoconfig, and passing
    toolset version to "using" will select the correct toolchain
    from user-config.jam, or we were able to consume the whole
    string and there are no additional subfeatures the user
    intended to pass on.

I certainly would like to assist if you need a helping hand,
but unfortunately I think am still not knowledgeable enough to
understand the boost.build code sufficiently good.

Roland

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com