Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-16 19:18:15

David Deakins wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> does the take-up of this thread mean current version of
>> Boost is fully compilable using Visual C++ for Windows CE platforms?
>
> Not all libraries in Boost can currently be compiled for Windows CE, but
> many of them can, provided that you are using Visual C++ 2005 and that
> you use something like STLport or Dinkumware to suppliment the standard
> C++ library that comes with Windows CE.

I used to use STLport when I was working with eVC++ 3.0/4.0.
I though the library that comes with VC++ 2005 is better,
but it seems to be insufficient for advanced stuff like Boost
and I'll likely get back to STLport :-)

> There are also some omissions in the standard C libraries for Windows CE
> that cause problems with certain Boost libraries
> and we are looking into possible ways to address
> this (maybe having a future version of STLport supply some CRT
> function supplements as well).

Yes, I know these problems very well.
I'm working on my own simple supplement that provides some of
missing features:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcelibcex

It helped me to port many Unix/POSIX libraries with success.
Perhaps, you will find it helpful.

> Based on my experience, I think it is quite
> possible to have much of Boost work on the WinCE platform.

Sounds encouraging.

>> Where could I find some details or instructions about how to do full
>> Boost build for Windows CE?
>>

> Some of this is still a work in progress and I don't have any good
> documentation at the moment.

Understood.
Generally, it's not a problem for me to make up solution and
projects to build what's buildable for Windows CE,
but I'm very interested what building system do you use.
Do you just create Visual C++ solution/projects or maybe Boost.Build
for that purpose?

> As a starting point though you'll want to
> download STLport 5.1.3 or the Dinkumware C++ library for WinCE. Then,
> once you have that building, pull up the Boost Development regression
> test reports and click on the VeecoFTC column to bring up our comments.
> That will give you a look at the user-config.jam file that we are
> using with Boost.Build to make Windows Mobile 5 libraries for testing.

Ah, my question has been answered already :-)
So, you use Boost.Build. Great!

> At the moment, the Boost.Build support for STLport 5 is broken in
> stlport.jam so it has trouble linking to the correct STLport libraries.
> I have submitted a patch for this, so hopefully it will be included in
> the SVN trunk version of stlport.jam soon.

I see.

>> I'm also interested in having WinCE an officially supported platform.
>> Do you think it would be possible?
>
> I think it is possible and to move in that direction we have begun the
> post nightly regression test results for testing on Windows CE.

I will try to follow your instructions ASAP.
If there is any interest in collecting build/regression results from
more environments, I can provide mine,when I have any.
I have two WM5 devices + MSVS 2005 Pro.

> Presently, these look much worse than they should because of the
> previously mentioned bug in stlport.jam and also because there are some
> minor modifications needed to Boost.Test to accommodate differences
> between full-blown Win32 and WinCE (WinCE does not support structure
> exception to C++ exception translation and Boost.Test tries to turn this
> on for all Win32-type platforms).

I understand.

David, thank you very much for this introduction.
I'm sure I've collected all details I need to spin my head around this
stuff.

I'll be back when I have some results, hopefully soon.

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net