Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-11 13:40:01

K. Noel Belcourt wrote:
> On May 10, 2008, at 11:49 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> K. Noel Belcourt wrote:
>>> On a semi-related note, Do you have any ideas on how we can speed up
>>> the posting of test results to the web page? On occasion, it seems
>>> like there's a 12 hour lag, or more, from when my tests finish, to
>>> when the results appear on the web page.
>> 12 hours is about right given it's taking the result processing 6, or
>> more, hours on average per cycle. The easy way is to speed things
>> up is
>> to move the result processing to a faster machine, and with a faster
>> connection to the internet.
>
> Would the results processing be able to leverage a multi-core system
> or is it strictly a serial operation? I'm afraid I've never dug into
> the results processing.

Hm, perhaps it would. The processing runs xsltproc severals times in
stages so it might be possible to run some of them in parallel. I'd have
to look into it.

>> The hard way to speed things up is to replace the entire reporting
>> system with an incremental database-backed equivalent. But I have
>> yet to
>> find a system that is already available. I place special emphasis on
>> *equivalent* as there are system available out there. But their
>> reporting is rather lacking for anything past the basic reporting of
>> individual test results.
>
> We use the Dart Dashboard and are fairly happy with that, but I have
> no idea whether the database behind the dashboard could handle the
> volume of Boost test results we (would like to) generate and I
> suspect a substantial amount of customization would be required to
> get the results page to resemble the current one.

If it's the Java database of Dart-1 I seriously doubt it can handle it.
I don't know what kind of database Dart-2 uses, so I can't say. But yes,
trying to use Dart again would require some serious customization. At
which point creating our own system becomes an alternative.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com