Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-06 08:39:13

Eric Niebler wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> Eric Niebler wrote:
>>> Just spoke with Rene about this ...

>> AFAIK, that's the wrong page to be looking at. The page I use to make
>> decisions is
>> http://beta.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html
>
> Whew, thanks Beman! How do you get to that page? I go to boost.org,
> click on "Development", and then on "Release Summary".

I don't look at www.boost.org, because I assume it applies to the
current release.

Instead I look at beta.boost.org, because I assume it applies to the
release under development.

>> Take a look at ticket #2150. http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2150
>>
>> That's one attempt at automatic tools to look for things that have
>> gone wrong and report them quickly. It will work on files, from the
>> repository or generated by the doc process.
>>
>> A similar tool that looked at web sites would be a nice QA addition.
>> It would check for the presence of specified files and verify their
>> date was recent, for a definition of recent specific to each file.
>> Maybe check file size, too, or even some content.
>
> OK, but that doesn't address the concern about test reporting.
> Currently, it takes a human (you, Rene, people on the boost-testing
> list) to manually verify that the results are being updated.

Say we had a tool that looked at web pages to see if they had been
updated, and sent email if not. We would point it at
http://beta.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html,
and set the required update frequency to say 24 hours. The email address
could be set to either the testing list, the site admins, release
managers, or whoever else was interested.

--Beman

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com