Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] bjam causes regression tests to fail
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-18 19:41:20

Sorry, I'm not usually available during my daytime hours any more...

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Markus Schöpflin wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just noticed the following error messages in the bjam.log file of my
>> regression runner:
>>
>> ---%<---
>> notice: found boost-build.jam at /vol2/boost/regression/boost/boost-build.jam
>> notice: loading Boost.Build from /vol2/boost/regression/tools_bb
>> error: escape sequences are not supported
>> error: your version of bjam is likely out of date
>> error: please get a fresh version from SVN.
>> --->%---
>>
>> AFAICT, this has started today. Anyone else seeing this? Any idea what
>> might be causing it?
>
> Oh, rats! The thing is, SVN HEAD version of Boost.Build needs SVN HEAD
> version of Boost.Jam in order. If a user has non-SVN Boost.Jam, then
> building Boost documentation will fail in a weird say. So, I've added
> automatic check. Alas, regression tests use SVN Boost.Build and pinned
> release of Boost.Jam.
>
> I don't really know the best solution here -- in general, SVN Boost.Build
> will not work with any random past release of Boost.Jam -- see another
> message on this matter I've sent earlier.

At minimum the trunk of BBv2 has to work with the release of bjam. It's
why we have a bunch of version checks, feature checks and alternate
implementations of BBv2 code. Anything else would make bring it back to
the horrible days of yonder past where users could not test, use, or
otherwise operate with current Boost and Boost.Build.

> Rene, may I suggest that:
> - Trunk test runs use SVN HEAD of both Boost.Build and Boost.Jam?

No. I mentioned in some other post about why that's not a good idea.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com