Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] RE Cygwin "execvp: Argument list too long" errors
From: Juergen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-18 11:00:39

Hi Frederic !

On Friday 17 April 2009, frederic.bron_at_[hidden] wrote:
> Hi!
> I was running the tests on cygwin but I encountered some
> difficulties:
>
> 1) suddenly, the test procedure stopped working (since somewhere
> between the 2nd of April 16h53 +0000 and the 3rd of April 8h45
> +0000); I get the message below when building process_jam_log (I
> suspect something related to the definition of
> BOOST_FILESYSTEM_NARROW_ONLY),

mmh. Looks like the "lack of wide charakter support in cygwin" issue.
There are several threads about that one on the devel mailing list.

> 2) I was running the tests on a USB FAT32 external disk and each time
> I wanted to perform a full test (i.e. not incremental), it took so
> much time to download the trunk that I posted on the list and was
> answered that it was not supposed to run on that type of disk...

Why don't you use "--force-update" option for run.py
From run.py --help:

 --force-update do an SVN update (if applicable) instead of a clean
                                checkout, even when performing a full run

That would prevent a new checkout and simply update the existing working
copy. Using a fresh checkout each time is simply wasting bandwith...

> so I decided to stop running the tests. If it is possible to find
> what's wrong in the test procedure with cygwin, I can restart testing
> but still with my USB FAT32 disk.

Well, there have been some changes to Boost.Config recently.
From boost/filesystem/config.hpp I get the impression that
BOOST_NO_STD_WSTRING is/was not defined for cygwin...

And using "update" instead of a full checkout should bring some
speedup. Maybe upgrading to svn 1.6.1 might speed things up, too.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com