Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] best way to mark up test that only pass with C++0x
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-28 07:45:24

Le 26/09/11 03:42, Eric Niebler a écrit :
> On 9/25/2011 6:01 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>> On 9/25/2011 3:15 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
>>> I'm going to be adding tests that rely on 0x features. These tests will
>>> fail on non-0x compilers. What's the best way to handle this?
>>>
>>> I don't want to no-op the tests because then they'll appear to be
>>> passing in the grid. But there doesn't seems to be a way to say, "I want
>>> to mark these tests as "expected fail" except on 0x toolsets. I can't
>>> even reliably look for "_0x" in the toolset name because (for example)
>>> the tests should pass on msvc-10.0, which has no "_0x" in the name.
>>>
>>> Do I need to exhaustively list each and every toolset for which the
>>> failure is expected (which would be almost all of them)?
>> Doesn't seem that bad to just mark them all, generically, as "expected
>> fail". As it just means that on the c++11 compilers you'll get an
>> "unexpected success", hence still a success, and the rest will just get
>> ignored.
> OK, I'll do that.
>
> I imagine this issue will be cropping up quite a bit in the future. It
> would be nice to have a better solution. Thoughts? Ideally, we'd have it
> integrated with Boost.Config somehow, so that I could mark a test as
> expected fail iff (BOOST_NO_DECLTYPE || BOOST_NO_RVALUE_REFERENCES), for
> instance. Is this possible?

I guess that we can run the tests conditionally, so if we were able to
check for C++0x mode we could see a white cell for these compilers,
meaning the test is not applicable. I propose that we add a feature
standard that could take the values 98 and 11. The build system will set
this feature to the correct value in cases the compiler only support one
of them. In addition it could add the needed compiler flags with
compiles supporting several versions.

Best,
Vicente

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com