Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] [EXTERNAL] Submodules not cleaned
From: Belcourt, Kenneth (kbelco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-13 22:49:11

Hi Niklas,

On May 10, 2014, at 9:39 AM, Niklas Angare <li51ckf02_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I just submitted https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10036, as follows:
>
> regression.py cleans the source directory of the super-project, but not the submodules. The "git status" command it runs just after cleaning shows this for me:

> ----
> On branch develop
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/develop'.
>
> Changes not staged for commit:
> (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
> (commit or discard the untracked or modified content in submodules)
>
> modified: libs/interprocess (modified content)
> modified: libs/numeric/odeint (untracked content)
> modified: tools/build (modified content, untracked content)
>
> no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
> ----
>
> The changes in libs/interprocess were caused by my patch_boost script. The changes in libs/numeric/odeint were generated files. The changes in tools/build were generated files plus manual changes I made to test something between runs.

So is your primary complaint is with the presence of the generated files or the ones you intentionally changed in build?

> Adding the following command would appear to fix it:
> git submodule foreach "(git reset --hard; git clean -fxd)"

This approach imposes a rather large cost on users with slowish network connections and that's primarily why we don't do something this. With our recent move to git, we decided to balance the needs of our testers with slower network connections to github with the desire for the source tree to be completely clean. I think current balance is an acceptable compromise, dirty source tree but the correct set of files from the repo being tested. Did we not achieve that balance, what are your thoughts?

-- Noel

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com