From: david.abrahams_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-10-07 07:50:08

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Peakall" <dale.peakall_at_[hidden]>

> Hi, I sent this message to the boost-users group, but that doesn't
seem to
> have hit critical mass
> yet so I hope you don't mind me sending this to you directly.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Dale.

I have ;-)

> I'm using the pre-compiled Win32 jam binary from the FreeType
project. Is
> this still suitable?

Yes. It will become unsuitable soon, but you'll know when that
happens.

> I noticed Dave has checked in a whole bunch of changes to
SourceForge. If
> not, is there an
> easy way to get the whole branch out of CVS?

There is, if you're willing to use cvs directly. Get cygwin
(www.cygwin.com) or WinCVS. You might find cygwin easier to use
because it has a unix command-line interface, which matches the
instructions at SourceForge.

> I've only ever used the
> web-interface which
> doesn't seem to provide this facility.

Right.

> The first problem I encountered was jam trying to use mv. After
replacing
> the $(MV) instructions
> in the como-tools.jam with copy, I managed to get some obj files
produced,
> but none of the libraries
> will link.

Oops, I need to fix the mv/copy thing. Thanks for the heads-up.

> First up, I noticed that the build system requires libcomo to be
> in a certain location, so I

No, it doesn't really. If you set COMO_INCLUDE_PATH and
COMO_STDLIB_PATH (in your environment or on Jam's command-line) you
can use libcomo without modifying the jam file.

> fixed that, but still nothing will link (lots of undefined external
> symbols - some to boost, some to
> std).
>
> I'm a Comeau newbie, so I may have messed up building libcomo
(which would
> explain the
> missing std symbols), but not the missing boost symbols.

Dale, I can't be sure what your problem is, but I can tell you this:
I had a REALLY hard time getting como installed and running correctly
on my system. I had lots of correspondence with comeau tech support
before it all worked right. I suggest that you copy the command-lines
generated by Jam when you try to build things with comeau, and paste
them into a .bat file. Then strip them down until you can get
something to build. If you can't even get a simple hello, world to
separately compile/link, you should assume the problem is your
installation: time to contact comeau. Otherwise, you should be able
to see where the build system is getting it wrong.

Try the COMO_STDLIB_PATH/COMO_INCLUDE_PATH setting above first,
however.

-Dave