From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-12-01 12:39:50

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., John Maddock <john_maddock_at_c...> wrote:

> >I got the command line gdb to run, but what a pain. I'm
researching
> >both the GUI version as well as the JIT versions available for
> >mingw. They may help out. However, the command line version just
> >stranded me with no clear idea why things were failing, so I don't
> >know if the other debuggers will be much help.
>
> If it helps, I tried debugging the thread code with the latest
cygwin GUI
> debugger (which is almost usable BTW), but still couldn't figure
out what
> the issue was. I also tried with vc6+pthreads-win32 and
> Borland+pthreads-win32 and both of those check out OK, in the
latter case I
> was able to build both boost.threads and pthreads-win32 with
Borlands
> Codeguard support enabled, and there were no memory related errors,
so I
> think this is something very specific to gcc.

What's needed is testing with native Win32 threads on these
compilers. The problem in question occurs with mingw using the
native Win32 threads, and evidently occurs only with
thread_specific_ptr<> and so may be related to DLL issues.

> BTW I also see a page fault when building with gcc3.01 on Linux -
this time
> the fault goes away if I build in release mode, so I suspect there
is an
> assertion being triggered somewhere, and it's the assertion that's
dying.
> I haven't got any further than that though.

This will be a seperate issue entirely, and one I'd be very
interested in hearing more about.

Bill Kempf