From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-12-01 12:43:16

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_m...> wrote:
> From: "John Maddock" <john_maddock_at_c...>
> > >I got the command line gdb to run, but what a pain. I'm
researching
> > >both the GUI version as well as the JIT versions available for
> > >mingw. They may help out. However, the command line version
just
> > >stranded me with no clear idea why things were failing, so I
don't
> > >know if the other debuggers will be much help.
> >
> > If it helps, I tried debugging the thread code with the latest
cygwin GUI
> > debugger (which is almost usable BTW), but still couldn't figure
out what
> > the issue was. I also tried with vc6+pthreads-win32 and
> > Borland+pthreads-win32 and both of those check out OK, in the
latter case
> > was able to build both boost.threads and pthreads-win32 with
Borlands
> > Codeguard support enabled, and there were no memory related
errors, so I
> > think this is something very specific to gcc.
> >
> > BTW I also see a page fault when building with gcc3.01 on Linux -
this
> time
> > the fault goes away if I build in release mode, so I suspect
there is an
> > assertion being triggered somewhere, and it's the assertion
that's dying.
> > I haven't got any further than that though.
>
> ISTR that when I tried to use boost.threads in the past on Win98, I
> encountered problems with the TSS code as well - with MSVC. I
didn't see the
> page faults since a catch(...) handler on MSVC eats them but the
results
> were worse than that - the machine locked up in about half of the
cases, in
> the other half the thread that faulted died without warning.

I believe this issue has been fixed. I'd suggest trying the test
again and letting me know if there's still a problem. Unfortunately,
I no longer have access to a Win 9x box to test on.

> I think that it's possible that the problem is not gcc-specific.
Note that
> both your successes use pthreads-win32, not the native win32
implementation
> of Boost.Threads.

Possible, but not likely. I've had reports from others about success
with VC++ and Borland using native threads, though it may be a
platform issue since they did not report what platform they were on.
My own testing on Win2K shows the problem in gcc mingw, but not in
VC++ (and I've run it through Bounds Checker under VC++ as well).

Bill Kempf