From: cadenzajon (alphaomega_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-02 00:56:13

Hi all,

I'm starting to use boost for the first time now, but I'm having
problems linking to the thread library (libboost_thread.lib) from
within Visual C++.

Using my main compiler, VC++ 6.0, I get the following linker error:
libboost_thread.lib(exceptions.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved
external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall
std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
std::allocator<char> >::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<ch
ar>,class std::allocator<char> >(char const *)"

I checked the compiler compatibility tables online at the boost
site, but they're not recent enough to include any details on the
thread library.

When I use Visual C++ .NET (feel free to shrink away in horror) to
test it, I get about 8 linker errors complaining that a handful of
standard library functions (most dealing with the basic_string and
exception classes) are being redefined by libboost_thread.lib.

Does anybody have any experience with this or ideas on what I could
be doing wrong? I'm just starting to do multi-platform software
design, and boost::thread would be a godsend!

Thanks,

Jonathan