From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-07 15:36:15

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., Jon Kalb <kalb_at_L...> wrote:
> At 7:57 PM +0000 1/5/02, bill_kempf wrote:
> ><string.h> is neither deprecated,
>
> Appendix D.5 Standard C library headers [depr.c.headers] leads me
> believe otherwise.

Splitting hairs. <string.h> is deprecated with preference for
<cstring> (not <string>), but the functionality contained in both is
identical. The only difference is in which namespace names are
placed. This is not the case with <iostream> and <iostream.h>.
<iostream.h> is a non-standard header, often still provided by
compiler vendors for compatibility with the pre-standard non-template
based iostreams. Using <iostream.h> can result in undefined
behavior, as is the case when you mix use of it with use of
<iostream>, while use of <string.h> is still 100% conforming even if
it's use is discouraged in favor of <cstring>.

Granted, my statement was not fully correct and likely caused some
confusion, but your response just made things worse.

Bill Kempf