From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-30 10:53:38

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., "judoka1981" <johan.nilsson_at_e...> wrote:
> --- In Boost-Users_at_y..., "bill_kempf" <williamkempf_at_h...> wrote:
> > --- In Boost-Users_at_y..., "judoka1981" <johan.nilsson_at_e...> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > would there be any problem in generating a .pdb file for
> > > libboost_thread? I'm using Boost 1.27.0 and VC.NET.
> >
> > The latest CVS snapshot will produce PDBs. The required updates
> are
> > in the Boost.Build system, but there are some bug fixes in the
> > Boost.Threads stuff as well, so I'd recommend updating both.
> >
> > > Also, would it be possible to switch on generation of debug
> > > information for release builds as well?
> >
> > I don't think this would be a great idea. You can always create
> your
> > own build process to do this, however.
> >

> Might not be a great idea, but it definitely is a good one. You
don't
> have to redistribute the PDB files with your application, and who
> haven't been bitten by things that don't work in release mode that
> used to in debug? I'm aware that stepping through the source in
> release mode doesn't tell the entire truth due to compiler
> optimizations, but it still is _invaluable_ some times.

I don't agree. If it's a good idea, then I'd expect MS to do this by
default for IDE generated builds. There's some overhead involved in
generating this, there's compile time overhead (which is important to
some), and there's the fact that many users will be confused by the
presence of debug information and why "stepping" through the code
behaves so strangely and unpredictably.

> (yes, of course I could generate them myself - if I just could
spare
> some time to learn Boost.Build)

You can create your own build process that doesn't use Boost.Build.
There's not much that's unusual about building Boost.Threads. The
only thing out of the ordinary is the need to create an additional
DLL build for the threadmon stuff, but you shoud be able to figure
this out by looking at the Jamfile even with out having any knowledge
of Jam. If you have problems with this I can provide some help.

Bill Kempf