From: Jim M (JimM_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-30 16:21:37

From: "bill_kempf" <williamkempf_at_[hidden]> [ Tue, 30 Apr 2002
15:53:38 -0000 ]

>> Might not be a great idea, but it definitely is a good one. You
>> don't
>> have to redistribute the PDB files with your application, and who
>> haven't been bitten by things that don't work in release mode that
>> used to in debug? I'm aware that stepping through the source in
>> release mode doesn't tell the entire truth due to compiler
>> optimizations, but it still is _invaluable_ some times.
>
>I don't agree. If it's a good idea, then I'd expect MS to do this by
>default for IDE generated builds.

I personally wouldn't use MS as a shining example of what they
consider "the best defaults" and stand by them on it :)

>There's some overhead involved in
>generating this, there's compile time overhead (which is important to
>some), and there's the fact that many users will be confused by the
>presence of debug information and why "stepping" through the code
>behaves so strangely and unpredictably.

It is damn handy to have pdb info in a release build. More handier
than having non at all and stepping into plain asm-code. I've not
released a release-version of an exe/dll without having a pdb around
since I learnt how to use them, and is a neck-saver in certain
circumstances...

... but I was only really replying to your "MS default settings"
comment which I feel is a bit dangerous :)

Jim M

--
@ Derbyshire