From: hicks (hicks_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-07 09:38:25

  Hello

>I have some questions for you:
>1. Why are you so interested in the value of
>"typeid.name()"?

I'm not particulary interested in typeid::name() as an end result.
As I said in the letter, I have real task at hand, and condensed the
code so that anybody looking at it would be able to get to the point quickly.
I used typeid()::name() here as a means of demonstating the problem.
The result which is shown by typeid()::name() corresponds to the
result encountered in the real task, namely,
the next stage of processing is supposed to take place in
traits1<int, 1> but takes place in traits1<int, 0> instead.
In other words, the branching mechanism fails silently.

>2. Are you sure this isn't a compiler problem? What
>compiler(s) have you tried this on?

Borland Builder C++ 5.
Unfortunately, it's the only one to which I have access now.
It could well be a compiler problem.
Unless there are some rules which I don't understand.
If it is a compiler problem perhaps someone knows of a workaround.
I have tried various approaches to no avail.

Craig Hicks