From: cs_jritchie (cs_jritchie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-07 13:27:24

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:

> "cs_jritchie" <cs_jritchie_at_y...> wrote in message
> > I am receiving the following on a Solaris system when using:
> >
> > jam -sBOOST_ROOT=. -sTOOLS=gcc
> >

> > status/Jamfile:53: in failed-test-file
> > warning: unknown rule FAIL_EXPECTED
> > status/Jamfile:100: in fail-to-build
> > ./tools/build/boost-base.jam:1407: in subvariant-target
> > ./tools/build/boost-base.jam:1448: in main-target
> > ./tools/build/boost-base.jam:1065: in declare-local-target
> > status/Jamfile:35: in boost-test
> > status/Jamfile:119: in compile-fail
> > status/Jamfile:368: in SubInclude
> > ./tools/build/allyourbase.jam:1141: in subinclude
> > Jamfile:5: in module scope
> >
> > {...above repeated many times...}
> >
> > Unable to load Boost.Build, it seems that the build system files
were
> > located, but the build system is not defined. Attempted to use, as
> > the bootstrap, this file: ./tools/build/boost-build.jam. This
means
> > that even though that file was loaded it either failed to directly
> > load the build system files, or it failed to specify where to find
> > and load the files by calling the 'build-system [path] ;' rule.
> > Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.
>
> [please post any follow-ups to jamboost_at_y...]
>
> It looks to me as though you're trying to use a new version of Jam
on an
> older Boost CVS state.
> We removed the FAIL_EXPECTED rule from the core Jam when it was
proved to be
> unneeded, sometime after the release of 1.27. However, I can see
that it
> might be a mistake to break backward compatibility in this way.
Opinions?

> -Dave

I am new to Boost, and only downloaded Jam and Boost yesterday
(Monday, May 6, 2002). Perhaps the removal of FAIL_EXPECTED wasn't
complete. Here are the links to the files that I downloaded:

www.boost.org/boost_all.tar.gz
http://boost.sourceforge.net/jam-executables/bin.solaris/jam.gz

I also tried again
with 'http://boost.sourceforge.net/release/boost_1_27_0.tar.gz' and