From: bill_kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-11 13:01:51

--- In Boost-Users_at_y..., Niall Kelly <ngktab_at_y...> wrote:

> I've recently started using Boost and am working with 1.28.0
(modified to include the latest Boost.Signals from the CVS
repository).

> I just obtained David Moore's thread_pool implementation from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/thread_pool.zip and tweaked
it slightly in order to build it with gcc 2.95.3 (no <limits>). I
since noticed some more recent thread_pool source on CVS under
boost/boost/libs/thread/src/Attic (bill_kempf).

The attic is used to store files that have been removed (cvs
remove). Not sure exactly what you're seeing in the attic, but it's
not really important. You shouldn't ever have to deal directly with
the attic.

> What is the purpose of the Attic subdirs? - unofficial work-in-
progress type stuff or would I be better off using these versions of
thread_pool?

The latest thread_pool stuff can be found in CVS under a branch named
thread_development. This is stuff that's under development, however,
so use at your own risk.

> Also, is thread_pool likely to be included in the next official
Boost release? Any idea when this might be? Finally, is a
boost::xtime replacement likely to appear in the next release?

Yes, thread_pool is slated for the next major version of
Boost.Threads. There's no release date yet... the next version is a
significant change being worked on by myself and a few others, and
may need a review process before releasing. I expect development to
last another few months at least. There are no current plans to
replace xtime... that's really something that needs to be outside of
the Boost.Threads library and I don't have the expertise or the time
to dedicate to it.

Bill Kempf