From: Albrecht Fritzsche (albrecht.fritzsche_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-16 18:09:51

Beman Dawes wrote:

>My sense with ACE is that while Boost developers know it exists, they
>usually aren't regular ACE users, and so have trouble judging the pros and
>cons.

That surprises me somewhat - since writing "platform-independent"
multi-threaded code
was the reason while in at least three projects I was working at ACE was
used. As Jeff
Garland writes, the only /drawback/ was "the cost of ACE as the
diskspace for all the ACE
features I'm not going to use on my project". But having threads,
processes, *IPC and shared
memory*... in one relieable and performant free framework with quite an
amount of nice patterns
and good documentation (this is the only point I'm disagreeing with Jeff
Garland, see
www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/ACE-tutorial.pdf for an introductionary
example).

But of course, that was before the advent of boost threads and boost
sockets:-) But I think
both libraries' implementors should know this framework - it might be of
help.

Ali